Kimmirut


I am fascinated by the polar regions and Arctic cultures. I had this little vintage Canadian stamp, and used it as a starting point for this painting. Kimmirut is a very small town in Nunavut territory. It's one of those places I long to visit, but really, I have no idea what I would be getting myself in to. I know there is a lot of strife and struggle in these places, but the fantasy persists (in my mind) that people are able to hold on to their traditions and culture.

It's a sleepy Monday over here at Tiny Aviary headquarters. Hope yours is more caffeinated and alert!

Comments

  1. Beautiful use of limited colours, i love the wording and the narwhal? Just magical, I'm sure it would be wonderful to visit, so long as your tough as old boots :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely image! And, of course, any day that includes a narwhal is a good one!

    Have you ever read "Arctic Adventure" by Peter Freuchen? If not you might look it up, I think you'd really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your paintings and this one is no exception!:)
    Jess xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jess, and Julie!

    Anne-Marie, I am not familiar with the book, but I am off on the hunt for it now. Thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe a lack of caffeine aids the dreamscapes in your paintings?

    The novel I loved about the Arctic was 'Late Nights on Air' by Elizabeth Hay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Another Artic book rec. Thanks, Kathleen! I will be sure to check it out : )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts