Nicobar Island Pigeon Study


I can't believe that 2007 is almost over, and I can't believe it has taken me this long to finish this study painting. Several weeks ago I went in to the Field and pulled a Nicobar Island Pigeon, from the collections. I went back in today to finish it. The specimen that I used was from 1966 and was labeled being obtained from Busch Gardens. Whoever prepared it as a study skin back in '66 did a very nice job, as it was in excellent shape.

The family of Columbidae (pigeons, doves) consist of many different species spread throughout the world. When you say pigeon to most people, they will immediately conjure up the image of mobs of our feral, feathered friends in urban areas, otherwise known as rock doves. In reality, Columbids are some of the most colorful, beautiful birds in the world, and many are endangered. This organization, Columbidae Conservation, was recently brought to my attention.

Comments

Popular Posts